- This event has passed.
Towards a Better Life: Exploring SRV in regard to people who are marginalised – Townsville
November 28, 2019 @ 9:00 am - November 29, 2019 @ 5:00 pm
Towards a Better Life: Exploring Social Role Valorisation (SRV) for people who are marginalised. Townsville
About the Workshop:
SRV helps to explain why people with disability are highly vulnerable to being excluded from everyday life.
While this rich framework explores how people are marginalised, importantly it also offers strategies to address these processes and increase the chances of people with disabilities to belong to, and contribute in our community.
In this interactive workshop the core themes and principles of SRV will be explored through presentations and discussion.
Who should attend?
The messages of SRV apply to all people engaged in the lives of people with disabilities.
This workshop has been very useful to people with disabilities and their families and also support workers and others working in the sector.
On completing this course, you may be interested in deepening your understanding by attending the practicum PASSING, run by Values in Action Association Inc.
About the Presenter:
Jane Sherwin is a Qld based consultant who has been involved in the lives of people with disabilities, families and older people since the late 1970s. She is an Accredited Teacher of SRV, having been involved in its teaching, learning and application since the early 1990’s.
Jane is committed to working at a grassroots level towards arrangements whereby vulnerable people experience greater levels of control over their own support arrangements.
Jane will be joined by Guest Presenter, Ricky Esterquest.
Using Your NDIS Funding at CRU:
If cost is a barrier to attending, please contact CRU to discuss. For people who are self-managing or using a plan manager, it is possible to use NDIS funding at CRU. To help you work out if this event is a reasonable and necessary support that will help you (or your family member) achieve your goals, see the Learning Objectives below. For more information about using NDIS funding at CRU, see our website. As CRU is not a registered NDIS service provider at this stage, people who are Agency managed cannot use NDIS funding to pay fees for CRU events.
The objectives of the workshop are that each participant will:
- note the patterns in our society that lead to some groups being devalued
- identify negative life experiences that result from the dynamic of social devaluation
- explore what is meant by ‘the good things of life’
- understand the importance of ‘imagining better lives’ in creating better lives
- utilise the principle of ‘use culturally valued ways and means’ as a way of helping people have typical and valued lifestyles
- appreciate the links between being in valued roles and people’s experiences of community life
- understand the importance of role goals and role communicators
- critique a range of visual examples to appreciate the impact of imagery
- explore strategies that help people maintain and develop competencies
To view CRU’s cancellation policy, visit: https://cru.org.au/about/policies/#cancellation
Community Resource Unit Ltd.
CRU has a 30 year track record of working across Queensland to help people with a disability take control of their lives and take their place in their community. Contact CRU if you need assistance or are unable to register online, by calling (07) 3844 2211 or email us at email@example.com
- November 28, 2019 @ 9:00 am
- November 29, 2019 @ 5:00 pm
- Event Category:
- CRU event
- Event Tags:
- Good Life, People with Disability, Regional, Roles, Social Role Valorisation, SRV, Townsville
- Australia+ Google Map
- February 13 @ 9:00 am - February 14 @ 5:00 pm
- March 2 @ 9:00 am - 4:30 pm