Our Senior Consultant, Lisa Bridle, is offering short sessions on Becoming a Better Advocate for your Child’s Inclusion in Central Queensland – Gladstone, Yeppoon and Rockhampton on 17 & 18th October.
The Rockhampton event is run in conjunction with the Umbrella Network.
About the workshops
While it is common to talk about “community inclusion”, getting a genuinely inclusive life for your family member does not just happen. In fact, often families find their family member with disability face significant barriers in accessing the ordinary community places that others take for granted. This session will focus on how families can work towards inclusion in school, recreation and whole of life.
It will discuss:
- What inclusion is and isn’t
- Why you would choose inclusion in school and community
- The importance of a vision of an inclusive life
- How to address common barriers and objections
- How you can be a more effective advocate for your child
- Advocacy tips and strategies
Please note: These events are free to attend but we need you to register to assist with catering and handouts.
Tuesday 17th October.
- Please arrive from 9.15am for a 9.30pm start. The session will finish at 12pm.
- Venue: 39 Goondoon St, Gladstone Central
- Please get there by 6pm for a 6.30pm start.
- To register please contact Shalee Gregson-Quinn on 0403 174 624
- Venue: The Livingstone Shire Community Centre. 80 John Street, Yeppoon.
Wednesday 18th October
- We will be running two sessions. 9am to 12pm AND 5pm to 7pm
- To register please contact the Umbrella Network on 07 4928 6550
- Venue: The Umbrella Network. 254 Eldon St. Rockhampton.
Who should attend
This workshop is open to all parents seeking a more inclusive life for their child. Other family members are welcome to attend.