At Community Resource Unit Ltd. (CRU) it is our mission to engage a broad range of people in a movement for change so that people with disability will be welcomed and appreciated as they take their place in their communities.
CRU exists to create and promote positive change so that people with disabilities can belong to and participate in community life. Our mission is to:
- Inspire and encourage individuals and organisations to challenge ideas and practices that limit the lives of people with a disability.
- Influence and equip others to lead positive change
- That people with disabilities should belong to and participate in community life. This means their interests are best served when they are supported to grow up in a family, go to school at their local neighbourhood school, participate in community activities with their peers, have a home of their own, maintain strong relationships with friends, parents and siblings, work and participate in community life and have their rights as citizens protected.
- That people with disabilities are highly vulnerable to being excluded from ordinary community life. This happens through segregated experiences, which deprive them of opportunities to have the rich range of relationships and experiences that most people take for granted. Achieving these positive life conditions for people with disabilities will always constitute a call for reform and CRU has had considerable involvement in such reform activities over many years.
- That to counter this, it is essential that people with disabilities, their families, friends and allies, service workers, board members and government officials be informed about the risks and possibilities, and orient their energies and resources to safeguard them against rejection and exclusion and make it possible for people with disabilities to truly participate in community life. As much as possible, CRU believes that people with disabilities should be allowed to make decisions for themselves or to be supported by their family and close friends to make decisions about their lives when they need this support.
CRU is a Company Limited by Guarantee (Ltd) not for profit organisation and exists to create authentic change that favours people with disabilities. It supports innovation and leadership whilst developing safeguards that protect and enhance possibilities for people with disability.
CRU engages with people on questions of values and vision; it provides inspiration and analysis and assists people to shape and deliver helpful, relevant and responsive human services and support arrangements.
CRU was developed to support grassroots change in Queensland. Its origins lie in a 1987 initiative of Queensland families, professionals and people with disabilities who recognised that legislative change was insufficient to support authentic change for people with disabilities and their families.
The members of CRU include people with disabilities, families and workers from the disability sector. We want to create a space where everyone is welcome so we can start conversations and combine our efforts in pursuit of better lives for people with disability.
Based in Brisbane, Queensland with state-wide responsibilities, CRU draws on our national and international networks. The direction and management of Community Resource Unit Ltd. is vested in the Board of Directors that is elected annually. The implementation of CRU programs is the responsibility of the CEO and the staff team.