2015 is proving to be both busy and exciting for CRU. We thought you might be interested in an update on our various activities.
NDIS Participant Readiness Project
The first quarter of this year has been a very active time for our NDIS Participant Readiness project. In the first four months of the project, approximately 700 people have attended our ‘Taking Charge of Change’ workshops in Brisbane, Rockhampton, Gladstone, Bundaberg, Warwick, Stanthorpe, Goondiwindi, Ipswich, Toowoomba, Maryborough, Hervey Bay, Dalby and Roma. As interest in these workshops has been quite high we will be organising additional events at a range of locations.
Below is a list of some of the upcoming Taking Charge of Change workshops planned so far. These workshops are for people with a disability and family members. There is no fee to attend but please go to our upcoming events page to register. If you have any difficulty with that please call us on 38442211, or email us (email@example.com) and we can help you with the process.
- 20/06/2015 Boondall
- 14/07/2015 Kingaroy
- 29/07/2015 Inala (PLEASE NOTE: This event will be presented in Vietnamese).
- 30/07/2015 Jindalee
- 01/08/2015 Beaudesert
- 07/09/2015 Carindale
- 08/10/2015 Brisbane North Tickets available soon
- 31/10/2015 Coorparoo
As part of the Participant Readiness project, CRU is also planning a number of road trips through the smaller towns in central and south west Queensland. These road trips will give us a rare opportunity to run much smaller sessions or have individual conversations and we are eager to connect with local people and networks to discuss how they can prepare for the NDIS in more rural and remote parts of Queensland.
Dates for some of these trips are still to be finalised but if you would like to arrange for us to meet with you please email CRU (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone us on 38442211. Our mailing lists are not as strong as we would like in some of these areas so if you know people in these towns or districts, please pass the message on. The workshops in Biloela and Emerald have been rescheduled to fit in with our road trips.
Locations that we are planning to visit include:
- 22 – 26 June Roma, Mitchell, Charleville, Cunnamulla, St George, Surat
- 13 – 17 July Yarraman, Nanango, Mundubbera, Murgon, Kingaroy
- Mid-August Biloela, Monto, Theodore, Taroom, Wandoan
- September Emerald, Blackwater, Clermont
- October Longreach, Winton and Barcaldine
We are currently working hard behind the scenes to extend our website with a whole lot of new material which we hope will resource us all to ‘ bring the good life to life”. We are linking with resources from around the world but also highlighting some Queensland wisdom and creating some new local resources. We will be in touch as soon as that is launched.
We are also finalising presenters for four “Finding My Place“ forums. All of the speakers at these one day events are people with disabilities or their family members and they will generously share their experiences of moving into their own homes; having jobs; following their passions, directing their own supports and contributing to their community. All of our speakers are from Queensland so this is a great opportunity to hear some very inspiring stories that are also practical as they illustrate what self direction and choice and control looks like in practice. People who work in the sector are also welcome at these events. The forums will be held on the following dates :
With all this activity, we are pleased to welcome a new part time staff member, Jennifer Mouritz to the Participant Readiness team this week.
My Future My Life
In the ‘My Future: My Life’ project, in which we are planning with high school students and their families, we are very sad to be farewelling Trina Steed. Trina joined us in January and has found she unexpectedly needs to return to Canada. Virginia Lonsdale will start this week in that position and will work with Lisa Bridle.
Disability Leadership Project
You may have seen that the Disability Leadership Project is holding information sessions in preparation for Round 2 of two of the funding steams. If you are a person with a disability or a family member who is interested in leadership be sure to take a look at this – there are other opportunities that are available year round. Applications close for these two streams in early August.
The streams are:
These three projects, together with Participant Readiness, My Future My Life and the Disability Leadership Project are designed to resource people with disability and their families. CRU is still very keen to engage with all the stakeholders in our sector and we were delighted to have many people who work in the sector join us for our recent workshops in Cairns and the Gold Coast on safeguards and Mackay and Toowoomba on self direction and for our Facilitation Course.
Other Upcoming Events
- Expressions of Interest are about to close for our ten day Optimal Individual Service Design (OISD) Course which will be led by Michael Kendrick and will be held in August and September.
- We have run the thought provoking workshop ‘The Dilemmas of Supporting Choice‘ with Michael Kendrick in a variety of locations over the past few years but in August we will offer that workshop for the first time in Brisbane.
- We are also currently seeking Expressions of Interest in our Family Leadership weekend at Boonah in late July. Please contact CRU for more information.
- Places at our Support Worker Training were quickly filled. We had many requests to deliver the training in regional areas and we are now considering how we might do this.
- A two day event for families, based on SRV and titled “Towards a Better Life: exploring valued roles for your family member is for families” will be held in Bardon in late August
- Keep an eye out for the Griffith Symposium on 24th August – CRU partners with Griffith University and Queenslander’s with Disability Network (QDN) on these events and the topic this time will be Employment.
- There is also a new edition of CRUcial Times under production which we hope to have to you in the next few weeks.
We look forward to meeting up with you at one of our events soon,